Monday, November 24, 2008

Carbon Footprint



A carbon footprint is a measure of human activities which effect on environment and cause the greenhouse gases. It is measured in units of carbon dioxide. Two types of carbon footprint exist. First is the primary footprint or we can call it direct and the second one is called indirect or secondary footprint. The direct footprint is a measure of direct emissions of CO2 from burning fossil fuel like generating the energy and transportation. The indirect footprint is a measure of CO2 emissions from whole lifecycle of the product we use.

I was curious to know how big is my carbon footprint so I checked mine at http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/ . The result I had was 3.77, when I compared it with my classmates I found that it’s the largest and its 19.20 tonnes per annum, I guess it’s large because I drive 4x4 car and I spend a lot of time in the car, also I use electricity a lot, plus I travel whenever I have the chance.

The best way to reduce my carbon footprint is to organize my transportation with my friends, for example five students can go to college in one car. The second way to reduce carbon footprint is to learn and read about how to change our lifestyle in order to reduce CO2. The last step is every individual must take the responsibility of saving the planet and they should be aware that every single human can make a difference.

No comments: